Summer is finally here and that means relaxing outdoors. If you have an outdoor living area, it’s the perfect time to style it for the upcoming months. Here are a few quick tips:
Create pops of color
When you think of summer, what comes to mind are shades like yellow, orange, bright blues, vibrant pinks and greens. Pops of these colours can be easily incorporated via:
- flowers from your garden (peonies, roses, lilies, etc.) placed in a colourful vase on a table
- potted plants in brightly-coloured (painted) flower pots
- outdoor table decor such as colourful placemats, dining and drinkware (doesn't need to be expensive - bargain shops and Wal-mart offer nice collections)
- rugs, accent pillows, seat cushions and, depending on your space, you may even be able to add some colourful art on outdoor walls
- patio umbrellas, outdoor curtains (perhaps if privacy is needed?), lanterns, hammocks and plastic Adirondack chairs - always lots of great colours and fun styles to choose from!
Add in some soothing sounds
To make your space feel more like an oasis, add in water elements (fountains or bird baths) or sound elements such as wind chimes.
Set the mood for after-hours
Solar lights, candles and fairy lights offer low-cost, lighting solutions for when the sun goes down. Spread them out where you can enjoy what each solution has to offer. For instance, solar lights can light pathways or step areas, fairy lights can be strung around patio canopies (or hang down from them), placed inside lanterns (which can then hang from branches), wrapped around outdoor faux plants, real tree trunks or deck posts. And, don't forget about glow sticks!
Have some fun with it but ... do it now! Summer in Ontario is short :)